Right Clicks Disabled

Monday, February 15, 2021

Every Bride's Worst Nightmare


*I won't be sharing her business or personal profile but I will tell you now my experience with her has been belittling and shit. If you want to know who made my dress, I'll tell you personally but I will not recommend her services.

Honestly, where do I even start?

After my engagement, the first thing I did was dress browsing online to see what I wanted. I was, like any bride, overwhelmed with a billion choices. I had to narrow down what I liked to avoid confusion. I know a dress decked in lace with a long train or big skirt will drown me out, so dress in an A-line dress with pockets (they were useless in the end because they ripped, more to come) and a straight top was the way to go. I started sketching my own design in preparations for the making of it.

The seamstress was a recommendation via a friend and if you know me, you know I love supporting small local businesses. In addition, this seamstress has just started her custom wedding dress business so I thought why not get the best experience with her. W R O N G.

*Our initial wedding was supposed to be in April 2019 but due to COVID-19, the big day was pushed to January 2021. Perfect for us, more time to plan for a reception in Perth as we can't fly home :( 

Here's a rough timeline of production and what happened

November 2019- 1st meeting to try on dress samples, discuss to go ahead or not.

January 2020- 2nd meeting after returning from Malaysia, signed a contract with seamstress after said budget and design is approved. 

March 2020- Tried on custom calico to determine if I liked the height of top and length of straps.

May 2020- Another fitting and more discussion about the design. Lace selection started but without guidance.

June- July 2020- Fitting finalised, onto the product of the mock dress. Please remember the word mock.

August 2020- Attended the fitting with my bridesmaids. I was told when I arrive I will be dressed in the mock design. When I saw the dress, beaded lace was already pinned on the mock dress without consulting me. I liked the outline of the dress but was unsure of the pinned lace. Informed seamstress after appointment as I had time to look back at photos that I was unsure of the lace selected and placement of it. That was when shit hit the roof- Seamstress dealt with my concern with no professional mannerism and informed me that photos were actually not allowed in the room to avoid change of mind. Seamstress referred me to the wholesaler's website to pick my own lace. Cost of the dress was brought up by seamstress, deeming it was too low for her to buy and sew the lace I wanted. 

There were a few issues that really bothered me.

1. Our permission to take photos were approved by seamstress verbally in the room.

2. Why was I not given the choice of choosing my own beaded lace and laying it on the dress prior to pinning?

3. Showing me the wholesaler's website did NOT help me with choosing the lace I want as I have mentioned to seamstress multiple times that I am feeling overwhelmed with the choices shown.

4. If you, the dressmaker, agreed to my budget and design PRIOR to the signing of the contract, I expected you to honour your words and sew the dress with no $$ issues.. The fact that my budget was raised DURING the production is just poor. The seamstress had her own wedding to plan as well as making five other dresses by the end of the year. However, not my problem as I am a paying client.

November 2020- After the hoo-haa in August, I told seamstress to stop sewing anything on my until I see it and further discuss lace selection with her one on one. My appointment was scheduled for the 17th of November (after rescheduling again). With 2.5 months until my wedding, I am almost walking down the aisle in my pjs if I want to change the beaded lace. Decided to stick with what the seamstress originally pinned on the mock dress but changing placement of lace. I felt like my needs were not met at all. 

December 2020- My initial appointment to pick up my dress on the 18th of December was almost rescheduled due to her personal commitments but we managed, the appointment went ahead. Thank goodness, I wanted to pick my dress up and say bye forever. Jokes on me... my dress was incomplete. I was so fucking stress with 2 weeks to my big day. We finalised x3 the lace placement and hem of dress, dated 30th of December to pick up my dress, again.

Jan 2021- On my wedding day, I found 4 pins stuck in the dress,

 holes in both pockets- found out as my special lockett fell out from my pocket and a long 11cm hole under the buttons at the back of my dress. 1 of the pin managed to poke me whilst changing into it. My horrible experience did not end LOL. 
Screenshots of me were posted on her Instagram but I was not tagged or my face was removed. This is an online privacy breach (I teach my primary students about this yet an adult is doing it). A friend recognised the image, tagged me but the comment was later removed. After discussions with my husband, we decided to let the image sit in her profile. 

If you're thinking "why don't you just email her?"-  I have emailed her but my concerns were not acknowledged, rather the budget issue was raised by her again. She presented herself forward as a professional couture dressmaker, in my opinion, however, her attitude and professional manners really brought her image down.

As a freelance business owner myself, I find it so important to keep my word. If I have invoiced a makeup and hair service for $100 (more than half of what I usually charge), I will make sure the hair looks presentable and makeup lasting all day with lashes as that is my business reputation. But I guess some people don't lay their business image like I do. I am unsure if she will but hoping she will reflect on my lengthy email and bring better customer service and communication to her future clients.

To end

Despite the dress drama I involved my family and close friends, my wedding was a perfect day. I got many compliments designing a dress that fitted my body shape and everything ran smoothly to schedule in the end. Thank fuck it's over.


My next post- D day.

No comments:

Post a Comment